MGC (Mammalian Gene Collection)
The Mammalian Gene Collection (MGC) project is an NIH initiative. The goal of the project was to make available a complete set of full-length cDNA clones from human, rat, mouse and cow.
MGC cDNA clones were obtained by screening of cDNA libraries, by transcript-specific RT-PCR cloning, and by DNA synthesis of cDNA inserts
- 969_IRAU IRAU MGC Human verified full length cam cDNA
- 970_IRAT IRAT MGC Human verified full length amp cDNA
- 5012_IRCM IRCM MGC Human verified full length kan cDNA
- 5020_IRCV IRCV MGC Human synthesized DNA
- 968_IRAV IRAV MGC Mouse verified full length amp cDNA
- 5000_IRAW IRAW MGC Mouse verified full-length cam cDNA
- 5011_IRCL IRCL MGC Mouse verified full length kan cDNA
- 5021_IRCW IRCW MGC Mouse synthesized DNA
- 993_IRBP IRBP MGC Rat verified full length amp cDNA
- 994_IRBQ IRBQ MGC Rat verified full length cam cDNA
- 5010_IRCJ IRCJ MGC Cow verified full length amp cDNA
Downstream applications include:
- Restriction enzyme digestion
- PCR amplification
- Probe labeling
- Sequencing reactions
- Sub-cloning for gene expression experiments
For individual MGC cDNA clone orders please use our website search engine.
Search using accession number, gene ID or IMAGE_ID (you cannot use the MGC_ID).
Clones are provided without restrictions to their use in academia and industry, except for the terms specified in a Good Faith Agreement and our clone terms and conditions.
1. Please check the GenBank record of each MGC full-length clone for detailed sequence annotation. The definition of what constitutes a full-length coding region for some of the genes and transcripts of MGC clones may have changed since the clones were produced and you should carefully check the clone insert sequence shown on NCBI to make sure that it matches the sequence you expect.
2. To overcome problems associated to wrong clone identities in large public resources, Source BioScience performs an additional clone verification by Sanger end sequencing reads (5' and/or 3'). Our sequence verification consists of a quality clipped, but otherwise uncurated end reads (and not full-length-sequencing). The result will be compared to the sequences already published for the particular clone and the resulting alignment confirms the clone identity. Using this service, only clones matching the clone reference sequence will be delivered and charged. Clones which cannot be confirmed will not be charged.
Source BioScience assumes no liability for clone orders where the client chooses to reject the offered end sequence verification option.
The use of the resource is limited to research purposes. The collection is subject to the following MTA.
The technical details for each clone can be found on our website search, along with the background vector and link to the sequence accession number.
Protocols / Clone Handling
Clones should be stored at +4°C on receipt. As soon as possible, re-streak the clones onto the same medium and incubate overnight at 37°C to obtain single colonies.
A selection of at least 10 single colonies should be picked and grown in LB broth containing the appropriate antibiotic +8 % glycerol for subsequent freezing at -70°C.
These frozen stocks can then be re-grown for plasmid isolation and purification.
Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Klausner RD & Collins FS(1999). The Mammalian Gene Collection. Science 286: 455-457.
MGC (Mammalian Gene Collection) Program Team (2002). Generation and Initial Analysis of more than 15000 Full-Length Human and Mouse cDNA sequences. PNAS 99(26): 16899-16903.
For further information and prices please contact us or call +44 (0)115 973 9012